Tuesday, April 5

With Relish
In the town where I grew up in Texas there's this hole-in-the-wall burger joint called Kim's. Ever since I can remember my family has been going there to get the best burgers in the world (they also make a mean breakfast burrito). I always order mine with mustard, pickles and cheese only, fries on the side. A waitress called Betty works there who has known me since I was 3 or 4 years old, and I used to write her little thank you notes on napkins for serving us, in that curly, "elegant" first-grade handwriting of mine (it was probably hideous).

When I turned 16 my family went there for breakfast and the wait staff all came out and sang me happy birthday (which never happens there) and gave me a free piece of chocolate pie. They have lots of decorations from the early days of Coca-Cola, with Gibson girls and everything. And there's this one wooden sign for an old dentist office with this huge wooden tooth nailed on it that's the size of a football.

Well, I have found a burger place... "joint" is a bit too earthy, this is more like an "establishment"... in Edinburgh called Relish whose burgers rival Kim's! The relationships with staff aren't there necessarily, but man. I had a burger tonight the size of my head. And it was good. They even serve root beer! You can't get root beer in Scotland, so one can costs £2, which is like $4. As Dad says, "That'll make yer tongue slap yer brains out!"

Post me a note about one of your favourite haunts.

Current mood: in the twilight zone... it's almost 2am
Current music: some Third Eye Blind song

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home